MEET TEEN MINISTRY
Teen Ministry brings love and hope into the lives of teenage girls living in the “garbage city” in Cairo, Egypt. Girls at Teen Ministry collect, sort, and clean garbage for their families to sell all day long. Their families can’t afford to send their daughters to school, struggle to provide enough food to eat, and often walk the mounds of trash barefoot.
These girls risk stepping on needles, broken glass, or sharp metal every day because they don’t have shoes to protect their feet. Medical waste is dangerous to handle but can be sold for a high price. These girls seek out hazardous medical waste to help their families earn more money.
The childhood of these girls is cut short by the harshness of adult life they are faced with at such a young age. Many of these “garbage city” teens end up abused and neglected. These precious girls are vulnerable to abuse from men in the garbage district. Sometimes these men promise to feed a girl a “nice meal” (such as at a fast food restaurant—something a family could never afford) if she converts to Islam. If a teen refuses, she will suffer abuse. Instead, one of the things Teen Ministry offers is meals and treats girls to a “nice meal” with the love of Christ instead of manipulation.
Teen Ministry also steps into their world by providing a safe place where girls from the slums can receive medical and dental services, learn about hygiene, receive clothing and a pair of shoes, receive funding to attend school, and hear the gospel.
Because of their involvement with Teen Ministry, girls like Sarah and Brooke, who never dreamed of attending school and breaking out of “garbage city,” are now excelling in their education. Despite her entire family being illiterate, Sarah is rising to the top in her studies. And Brooke’s academic pursuits have many teachers convinced that she’ll become a college professor one day. Both Sarah and Brooke have hope not only in a brighter future thanks to Teen Ministry but in a foundation rooted in Christ.
GOD HEALED AN INFANT
Several years ago, Mariam, a Teen Ministry participant, got married and gave birth to a baby boy who died at two months old from heart failure. In 2021, Mariam had a second baby and named him Youssef. Baby Youssef also had heart problems and wasn’t expected to live long. Mariam and her husband prayed with other believers, including workers from Teen Ministry, to pray for Youssef. During a regular visit to the pediatrician, the doctor discovered Youssef’s heart was normal! The doctor was surprised to see this answer to prayer! Youssef remains in good health!
Pray for the Lord to protect the girls and Teen Ministry leaders as they face persecution and live in a violent and uncertain world. Also, pray for the teens to find comfort and refuge in Christ. Ask for God’s peace to fill and make the teens and workers bold witnesses to others in their community.
In addition to prayer, here are tangible ways to provide for Teen Ministry as they minister to girls in their community:
- Clothing and hygiene items: Good hygiene is difficult to maintain for teens in “garbage city.” Teen Ministry supplies hygiene products and cleaning facilities at the ministry center. Your gift will provide a teen girl with hygiene supplies and new clothing.
- Shoes and backpacks: Shoes protect feet from injuries and a backpack to carry supplies to school.
- Meals for program participants: Teen girls are vulnerable to abuse from men in the garbage district. Sometimes men promise to feed a girl a “nice meal” (such as at a fast food restaurant) if she converts to Islam. If a teen refuses, she suffers abuse. Teen Ministry provides meals and treats girls to a “nice meal” with the love of Christ rather than as a manipulation tool.
- Training and fellowship retreat for 40 teen mentors: Forty girls who have come to faith through Teen Ministry now serve as volunteers. Your gift will allow these girls to attend a retreat where they can fellowship together and receive training.
- University tuition fees (4-year degree): Your gift will cover all fees for a four-year university. This is a life-changing gift for a girl living in the garbage district. Previous recipients have graduated and now work as nurses and teachers.
- Where most needed: Your gift will meet the critical needs of teen girls living in the garbage district.
Visit bazaarcatalog.com to learn more about these gift opportunities!