Ministry Update: Hanna Orphan’s Home (Ethiopia)

Ministry Update: Hanna Orphan’s Home (Ethiopia)

Ministry Update: Hanna Orphan’s Home (Ethiopia)

For the last 30 years, one of Hanna Orphan’s Home’s (HOH) main objectives has been to care for children who lost their parents to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. HOH rejoices that over 90% of these children have since grown up, completed their education, graduated from various universities, and can now support themselves and their families. The remaining 10% will do likewise in the next several years.

This is a notable achievement and testament to God’s care for these precious souls, as Ethiopia has a child poverty rate of 88% and a literacy rate of 49%, and the state has traditionally been unable to provide adequate care for orphans and other vulnerable children, leaving many exposed to neglect and abuse.

HOH has increased its support services for vulnerable children and adults in its community, providing help enrolling children in local schools, after-school tutoring programs, meals, weekly Bible studies, counseling, and access to the ministry’s library. It also operates a medical clinic for impoverished families and an income-generation program where single mothers are trained and supplied with small-business loans to start their own businesses.

Through its Income Generating Activities, HOH has provided loans to impoverished women to help them improve their own family living situations by running small businesses, such as selling vegetables, bread, and used clothing. However, a government infrastructure project has dramatically affected these businesses. Most of them have operated in the streets of the city, and planned highway expansion has crowded them out with no places arranged for them to go. Some of the businesses have failed, and all of them are struggling to make ends meet. It has been discouraging for the women who have been working so hard and also for HOH as it sees its efforts to help the women rise out of poverty crumble. HOH recognizes that these women need to come to Jesus more than they need to run successful businesses, but they also need to be able to care for their families.

Prayer Points

  • Please pray for the Lord to provide these women with the ability to run their businesses in secure locations so that they can provide for their families.
  • Pray for the Lord to give the women and their families ears to hear the Word of Christ and turn to Him in faith.
  • Pray for the children who have come through HOH and are now adults that He will bring all of them to faith in Christ, mature them in the gospel, and make them salt and light in their community.
  • Pray for the vulnerable community children participating in HOH’s activities, that the Lord will turn their hearts to Christ and give them dignity and hope in Him.